Friday 24 October 2008

Meeting ‘The Maestro’ - virtuoso of local colour

North Norfolk painter Derek Inwood talks to Hatfield Hines’ Clare Hatfield about life, work and the art of simplicity.

CH: What is the trigger for you, which sparks off the idea for a picture?

DI: My work is about colour. It starts with a mood and that gives me a colour.

CH: Where do you prefer to work?

DI: I capture the mood on the spot by taking oil pastels with me, and then work up canvases in the studio. Sometimes I do local scenes straight into oil paints.

CH: How would you describe your style of working?

DI: I am a natural painter. I basically like looking at things – I am interested in the art of looking and seeing through the eyes.

CH: Which subjects most interest you?

DI: There is nothing complicated about my work. I like to paint figure compostions on the beach, boats, groins, passing ships.

CH: What most excites you about the process of making a picture?

DI: I like to take a flat surface and then transform it into a painting just with colour. Just with colour you can create space and relationships between things in a scene. You can create people, sky and people doing things.

CH: How do you feel your work has changed over the years?

DI: My work has slowly evolved rather than really changed over the years – it has always been about colour.

For more information about Derek Inwood, and a catalogue of available works, access Derek's artist profile page at:

http://www.hatfieldhines.com/artistProfiles/DerekInwood.html

Derek Inwood runs from 1st to 29th November, 2008.

Opening hours: Tuesday to Saturday 11am-5pm; Thursdays: 11-2pm

1 comment:

My Life said...

Excellent blog, good interview, can't wait to see the pictures.

Keep up the good work.

Terry Johnson